How to Change/Update Your Address With the IRS

The IRS needs your updated address in order to send you important correspondence or mail you a refund check. The IRS provides several options for notifying the agency of an address change. Since it can take up to six weeks to process an address change, starting the process sooner rather than later can help you get your tax refund check faster.

Change Your Address on Your Tax Return

If your address changes before you file your taxes, you can simply file your return with your new address. When the IRS sees the new address, your file will automatically be updated.
If you file taxes electronically, sometimes your old address will automatically carry over to your new form, so keep an eye out for this possibility.

Notify the Post Office

If your address changes while your return is being processed, you should fill out an IRS change of address form with the post office. Keep in mind, however, that some post offices do not forward tax refund checks to new addresses due to fraud concerns. If you are expecting a refund check, you will need to take additional steps to ensure that it makes it to your mailbox. Nonetheless, notifying the post office will change where your correspondence is sent.

Use IRS Change of Address Form 8822 or 8822-B

You can change your address with the IRS directly by completing IRS form 8822 b. This IRS change of address form is used for individual tax returns as well as gift, estate, or generation-skipping transfer tax returns. If you are the responsible party for a business, you will need to use Form 8822-B to change your address.

When using either of these forms, you will be asked to provide basic information, including your old address and your new address. You can change a spouse's address with the same form.

Where you send this form will depend on your location. The various mailing addresses are listed on the form.

Written Statement

You can also provide the IRS with address change information by sending the agency a written statement. This statement should include the same information that is on Form 8822:

If you are a joint filer, you should provide information for your spouse and your spouse's signature. If there has been a separation, each spouse will need to inform the IRS separately of an address change.

This written statement should be mailed to wherever it was that you mailed your last tax return.

Electronic Notification

Notifying the IRS of an address change electronically is possible but only under certain circumstances. If your refund check was returned to the IRS, then an option on the IRS's "Where's My Refund" website will become available to change your address. To change your address online in such a situation, you will need to provide certain information for security purposes, including the amount of your refund.

If you need to contact the IRS, find the IRS mailing addresses here.



Q&A: Can I update my bank account or direct deposit information?

When prompted during your E-file process, select direct deposit to automatically receive a refund to your selected bank account. According to the IRS, combining direct deposit with electronic filing is the fastest way to receive a refund. Just select direct deposit it as your refund method through your tax software and type in the account number and routing number. To locate your routing and bank account number, call your bank branch or go online to access your online banking information.

If you have successfully selected direct deposit in a past E-file tax return, you may have to edit what you pull up from last year – to change any bank or direct deposit information that was saved. However, once you have successfully filed your return, the banking information cannot be changed.