How to File Your Federal Taxes for Free
Many taxpayers qualify and yet never realize it...
Read more to see if you can file your federal taxes online and free of charge:
Don’t know if you qualify for our Basic Software? Well, you might be surprised at who does. The qualifications are broad and if it fits your situation, you may be eligible to receive free federal tax preparation software.
The primary criteria for who can use this to file their federal income taxes are as follows:
- Taxable income of under $100,000.
- A filing status of single or married filing jointly and not claiming dependent deductions.
- Income earned through wages, salary, unemployment, fellowship grant, scholarship (taxable) and/or tips (tips need to be included in boxes 5 and 7 of your Form W-2).
Does this sound like you? Chances are it does, and that’s great. It means you can likely file your federal return completely free of charge. To take advantage of this, start by setting up a new account (here).
Once you’ve created your account, simply add your personal information, income, and the intuitive software will ask you questions to identify possible deductions. Then, if this fits your filing situation, your IRS tax return will be prepared and electronically transmitted completely free of charge.
There is, however, criteria that may require you to use an alternative form. For example if the following apply to you:
- Received alimony, dividends or taxable interest over $1,500.
- Filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Have adjustments to income, such as an IRA, paid alimony, bad debt deduction, moving expense, tuition fees and student loan interest.
- Owe employment taxes on a household employee.
- Seeking to claim a tax credit other than the earned income.
Not sure if you qualify to file for free? Fear not, even if you don't qualify you can likely still receive a reduced price to file with our Deluxe or Premium Software. See the pricing chart for more.
What if you need a state return too? You can also file your state income tax return using the E-file.com software. While there is a small fee for this, there are often promotions which provide discounts to new customers. For example, right now you can save an additional $6 on a state filing by entering the coupon code "6OFFSTATE" at checkout.
E-file.com can help you to file your taxes faster and for less money whether you qualify for free federal filling or not. All from the comfort of your home and at your own pace. Click here to start your tax return now.
Additional details about this offer:
Not everyone who is able to file for free will do so. The E-file.com software attempts to determine which tax form is necessary for each user based on the answers they provide but can make no guarantees that the form selected is the correct or best form for each user.