File Arkansas Taxes

Taxpayers who either lived or worked in Arkansas during the previous tax year are required to submit a state tax return if their incomes meet established guidelines.

Guidelines for Who Must File AR Taxes

Individual taxpayers who are filing single must have earned at least $11,592 before they are required to file an Arkansas taxes. People who file as Head of Household (HOH) with one dependent must have earned $16,480 while an HOH filer with two or more qualifying dependents needs to earn $19,465 before filing.

Married couples filing separately are required to file if they earned at least $3999. Married couples filing jointly must file if they earned $19,548 with one dependent, or $23,526 with two or more dependents. A qualifying widow or widower is required to file if he or she earned $16,480 with one or no dependent, or $19,546 with two or more dependents.

Self-employed taxpayers must file state income taxes regardless of their filing status or income levels.

Those who are non-residents of Arkansas, yet earned incomes at least part of the year within the state are also required to file Arkansas taxes.

Who Needs to File an Amended Return

Arkansas taxpayers should file an amended state return if they meet certain criteria. If they claimed exemptions to which they were not entitled. While this is optional, they may wish to file an amended return if they failed to claim exemptions to which they were entitled. Also, AR tax filers must submit an amended return if they were at anytime audited by the IRS and the IRS' finding impacted the status of their state return.

Dates & Status

You have until April 15 of each tax year to file your AR taxes. An extension can be requested, but this must be submitted on or before April 15 as well. If a taxpayer does not file, they may be penalized at a rate of five percent each month until they do. Moreover, all income tax is due by April 15 regardless of whether an extension has been filed. Any balance outstanding after this date is subject to a penalty of one percent each month the amount is past-due.

Taxpayers who are owed refunds can check their refund statuses on the Department of Finance and Administration website (address and website information can be found here). To use this service you must know the whole dollar amount of your expected refund, as well as the primary taxpayer's Social Security number.

Note: States & U.S. territories may make changes to their tax laws with little notice. We do our best to keep this information up-to-date, but it is provided on an "AS IS" basis. For more see our terms.