E-File Montana Taxes for a Speedy Tax Refund

Montana State Sign

MT residents, nonresidents and partial-year residents are required to file Montana income tax returns if they earn income in the state. There is a long form, an intermediate form and a short form. The short form is best for people who do not plan to itemize deductions. The long form is best for taxpayers with complex itemization needs. All forms are available at https://revenue.mt.gov/home/forms.

With an income tax rate of 6.9%, Montana ranks in the top 15 states with the highest income tax rates. However, the annual tax revenue of more than $2 billion is considerably lower than the nation's median range. Taxpayers requesting extensions must mail their requests by April 15, the date taxes are normally due. Extended returns are due on October 15.

Requesting Additional Time

Taxpayers who need additional time to file can request an extension by filling out a current Extension Payment Worksheet. An extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes due. Mail the extension request to the Department of Revenue along with any applicable payment at the following address:
PO Box 6309
Helena, MT 59604-6309

Amending A Return

If any errors are discovered on past tax returns, it is important to file an amendment. If there is no tax due, mail it to the Department of Revenue at:
PO Box 6577
Helena, MT 59604-6577

If there is tax due, mail the form and payment to:
PO Box 6308
Helena, MT 59604-6308

Track a refund by visiting the DOR Website and clicking on the Taxpayer Access Point button. For questions about amended returns or previously filed returns, call 866-859-2254.

Do You Have Enough State Taxes Taken From Your Paychecks?

Taxpayers who are self-employed and those who do not have enough MT taxes taken out of their pensions or paychecks may have to pay quarterly estimated taxes. Use Form ESW-I to determine estimated taxes. Pay estimated taxes online at the DOR website by clicking on "Online Services." To mail the payments to the Department of Revenue, send them with the Form-IT payment voucher to:
PO Box 6309
Helena, MT 59604-6309

Late Tax Filing

Taxpayers who do not file their returns by April 15 must pay the lesser of $50 or the amount of tax due. If taxpayers file their returns on time but do not pay the tax they owe by April 15, they are charged between 1.2% and 1.5% of the amount they owe for each month the amount remains unpaid. When taxpayers do not file a return within 60 days of receiving a notice from the DOR, they may be fined between $1,000 and $10,000 in addition to the original penalty.

Note: States & U.S. territories may make changes to their tax laws with little notice. We do our best to keep this information up-to-date, but it is provided on an "AS IS" basis. For more see our terms.

Ready to File Your State Tax Return? Start Today

Start Your State Income Taxes Now