Information on Filing Utah Taxes

Utah State Sign

With annual tax revenue close to $6 billion, Utah is close to the nation's median range. The state's income tax rate is 5%. This is slightly below the national average. Any partial-year resident, resident or nonresident earning income in UT must file an annual Utah income tax return.

Tax forms must be e-filed (can be done here) or postmarked by April 15, the same filing deadline as federal income tax. For extended returns, the deadline is October 15.

Prepayment of Utah Income Taxes

There is no form for requesting an extension in Utah. Taxpayers should send a copy of their federal extension with their extended Utah return by October 15. Extensions do not grant extra time to pay tax due. If taxpayers owe money, it must be paid by April 15 to avoid penalties. To file Utah taxes later but mail a payment on time, use Form TC-546. Mail it with payment to the State Tax Commission at:

210 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84134-0266

Mail forms with payment to:
210 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84134-0266

Track a UT tax refund online at To check the status of a refund by phone or for inquiries about amendments and other issues, call 801-297-2200.

If an error is found on a return, file an amended Form TC-40. Submit the amended return with a copy of the federal return to State Tax Commission at the address:

210 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84134-0260

If Not Enough Utah Taxes are Withheld

Taxpayers who do not have enough money withheld from their checks or are self-employed may have to pay estimated taxes each quarter. Use Form TC-546 to determine estimated tax amounts.

Penalties on Any Unpaid Amount

Taxpayers who file on time but do not pay the UT taxes they owe or only part of it will be charged 10% of the unpaid amount. If taxpayers do not file a tax return, they will be charged $50 for each return or form with a maximum allowable charge of $1,000. Taxpayers who owe money and do not file a return will be charged both sets of fees.

Note: States & U.S. territories may make changes to their tax laws with little notice. We do our best to keep this information up-to-date, but it is provided on an "AS IS" basis. For more see our terms.

Ready to File Your State Tax Return? Start Today

Start Your State Income Taxes Now