How to File ND Taxes & Get Your Tax Refund Faster

North Dakota State Map

The people required to file ND taxes include individuals who live or work in the state for at least 210 days per year. For example, out-of-state and foreign non-residents who have worked in the state for at least 210 days are still required to file despite not being permanent residents of the state.

Likewise, people who own homes in the state, yet reside elsewhere also are required to file North Dakota taxes. Workers who live in North Dakota, yet derive out-of-state income are required as well to file a North Dakota income tax return. The state does not require Native Americans who belong to a federally exempt tribe or live on a reservation to file returns.

The amount that people are required to pay in taxes will vary according to their income and filing status. For example, a single person whose income is $34,000 or less will pay about 1.84% of their income in taxes to the state. A married person filing jointly with a spouse will pay the same tax rate if his or her income is less than $56,000. People required to file ND taxes have from January 1 to April 15 of each year to submit their taxes to the state. They can request an extension filling out state Form 101 and submitting it to the state's tax commissioner.

Amending a Return to Make a Correction

Taxpayers can amend their ND taxes if the IRS has reported a change to their income or if their first return was filled out incorrectly. They can file an amended return for the tax year during which the change or error occurred and was reported. They have up to 90 days to file an amended return after the error or change was brought to their attention.

Where to Remit Payment

After they submit their returns, taxpayers can choose from several payment options if they owe a balance to the state. They can send in a paper check or money order to:

The Office of the State Tax Commissioner
PO Box 5621
Bismarck, ND 58506-5621

They can also pay online with a debit or credit card at

People who cannot pay their balance in full are encouraged to pay as much as they can at the time that they submit their returns. The state will then bill them for the balance.

Partnerships, Corporations, Estates and Individuals can all pay quarterly estimated tax payments if they expect to have $1000 or more of income to report. Vouchers are available and can be submitted to:
The Office of State Tax Commissioner
PO Box 5622
Bismarck, ND 58506-5622

Access "Where's My Refund?" from the website to track the status of your ND tax refund, online. People who are owed a refund should expect their checks to be mailed to them within six weeks after submitting their returns. Taxpayers can also have their refunds direct deposited to their checking or savings account. Direct deposits tend to be processed faster.

Note: States & U.S. territories may make changes to their tax laws with little notice. We do our best to keep this information up-to-date, but it is provided on an "AS IS" basis. For more see our terms.

Ready to File Your State Tax Return? Start Today

Start Your State Income Taxes Now