Filing Vermont Income Taxes

Vermont State Map

About $2.8 billion dollars from individual income tax payments is added to Vermont's general fund every year. The state has one of the highest individual tax rates in the nation.

There are five tax rate brackets with rates ranging from 3.55 to 8.95%. If you were a full-year or partial-year resident who earned at least $100 in VT, you must file Vermont taxes. You must also file if you're a nonresident who earned at least $1,000.

You can file your taxes up to 60 days after the federal tax filing deadline without incurring a penalty. After that, you'll be charged a $50 late filing penalty. If you've filed an extension on time, you won't be penalized unless you fail to file on or before October 15.

To file an amendment to a return, use form IN-111 and check the "Amended" box in section one. You can find this and other forms at the Department of Taxes (DOT) website.

Where to Mail Tax Filings and Amendments

You can mail an income tax amendment. If you owe taxes, attach a check to your form and mail it to Department of Taxes at the following address:
P.O. Box 1779
Montpelier, VT 05601-1779

If you don't owe taxes or are expecting a Vermont tax refund, you will need to use the address:
P.O. Box 1881
Montpelier, VT 05601-1881

Requesting an Extension

To file for a state extension, you use a form IN-151 to the DOT. Taxes owed are still due on April 15 and interest will accrue on the balance as of April 16.

You can check the status of your Vermont tax return online at You'll need to know your filing type, social security number and zip code.

If you want to track an amendment or need help tracking a return, call 866-828-2865.

Estimated quarterly taxes must be paid any time that the amount withheld from your pay by an employer won't be sufficient to cover your taxes. Self-employed individuals are also required to make estimated payments every year. Payments are due every four months.

Assessments on Delinquencies

If you don't file a return at all, you'll be assessed a penalty of 5% on your balance owed every month. If you pay late or underpay, you'll pay interest of 2% per month. In both cases, interest charges won't make up more than 25% of your owed balance.

Note: States & U.S. territories may make changes to their tax laws with little notice. We do our best to keep this information up-to-date, but it is provided on an "AS IS" basis. For more see our terms.

Ready to File Your State Tax Return? Start Today

Start Your State Income Taxes Now